My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Saturday 31 August 2013

PENNY BLACK SATURDAY

Hi Everyone

Happy Saturday!!

I hope your weekend has got off to a good start.

Today was a big printing day in the House of Hearts and a day for getting proofs ready for signing off by "happy couples" .. .. but whilst those printers were churning away I had a play and created a card for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge for August where the theme is "Bright and Sunny".  I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't get chance to play this month .. . but hey .. .. I actually managed it.  The challenge doesn't end yet so you still have time to play along if you fancy it.

Here is my entry:





This used:

Image:  Penny Black "1652J" Cheesecake Wish (my much loved and very first Penny Black stamp)
Sentiment:  Pink Petticoat "Tiny Celebration Sentiments"
Backing Papers:  Pink Petticoat "Isabelline"
My Trust Sewing Machine
ProMarkers
Josy Rose:  Nail Heads
Joy Craft Dies:  Curved Edge Flowers
Martha Stewart Punch:  Daisy
Diamond Stickles
Flower made with twine and a quirky thing I will tell you about below.

So what about this quirky thing?!?!?!

Well here is a picture of it .. ..


I don't know what it is called but it is something I found when we were clearing out my late MIL's home.  I had no idea what it was .. .. but as it was stored alongside buttons and sewing cottons I guessed it was something crafty.

It is made of metal (as you can probably tell) and when you turn the knob in the middle those metal spikes move in and out of the casing.

I showed my lovely Sister and she knew exactly what it was and once she described to me what to do with it I remembered seeing flowers amongst my MIL's belongings .. .. but hers were made of very fine pretty thread .. .. unlike my twine!!  I wonder what she would think if she could see this one!

I gave the gadget to my lovely Sis as I knew she would use it to make flowers for her bags .. .. but did ask if I could borrow it to make a few flowers.  My Sis made the flower on this card for me yesterday to show me how to use it (thank you Sis xxxxxx).

Working on the side of the gadget without the knob you make "figure of eights" around the spikes all around the circle and then using a bodkin stitch the centre to hold the petals together.  Once finished you turn the knob to lower the spikes back inside the metal casing and you are left with a flower.

I think I will have to have a bit more of a play with it before I give it back!!  LOL!!

If anyone knows its proper name it would be great to know what it is please.

Plus if anyone finds a heart tonight (without blowing my picture up out of all proportion) then you deserve a hundred team points!!!

Have a lovely evening and I will see you tomorrow with my snippet make.

Love

29 comments:

Lorraine said...

A gorgeous summery card Jules. I love the cute PB mouse and pretty colour scheme.
Lorraine x

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Jules, what a lovely card with a sweet image and great design. What an interesting gizmo, never laid eyes on anything like this, but it makes a beautiful flower, Kate x

LindaB said...

Hi love your card. Just a guess and probably wrong, are the hearts the bees wings???
Love looking for your hearts.
Linda

Sue said...

Awwwww I love that cute PB image. Gorgeous sunny colours and the twine flower looks wonderful.
hugs Sue xx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Jules
I love this stamp Jules.....
Love the flower.,,,
I think i have found the heart.... Is it on the bee?
Hugs Sylvie xx

Carol said...

This is such a cutie Jules, the image is adorable. I have a flower loom from my youth which makes the same sort of flowers but it's plastic with upright pegs on it...must use it on my cards! Carol x

Wendy said...

Adorable and so gorgeous Jules, that flower looks fab.
Wendy xx

Julie C. said...

Wow! That is a special crafty thing! I've never seen it before but it sure makes a great flower. Loving it! You should post a video to show how it works. I am sure many people are as curious as I am!
It's a lovely card! But where is the heart? Is it the bee's wings? That is the closest heart shape that I can find!! ^O^

Stamps and Paper said...

Super cute card Jules and pretty colours ...what a fascinating little gadget but what pretty flowers it makes

Anne

Marie-Louise said...

Gorgeous card Jules.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful PB Card Jules, so love those adorable mousies! Love the twine flower, very nice touch!!!

Anonymous said...

OH PS Jules I have a plastic version of that, which is kind of like a round knitting loom, but its a mini version for flowers!

I've always just called it a flower loom, or daisy loom... or just flower maker!

:D

Patricia said...

Good Sunday Morning Jules,
Another stunning card with an Oh! So! Sweet! image. Love the colours and all the little additions, it`s brilliant.
I have one of those gadgets in plastic. I bought it at some show because they made it look so easy to use. Well!!!! I am still trying to get a good flower.....LOL. Might have a rummage to see if I still have it (probably thew it in the bin in disgust) and have another go.
Have a wonderful day
Hugs

Patricia xxx

debby4000 said...

Absolutely gorgeous and so cute too.
luv
Debby

Di said...

Hi Jules! Beautiful card as always, I totally adore that sweet Penny Black stamp and am not surprised you use it loads - perfect every time.

Can't find the heart - not even standing on my head - although maybe it's almost upside down in which case perhaps I'm on the trail :)

Plus, I do know what your little gadget is - it's a Crazy Daisy Flower Loom Winder. They mostly come in plastic these days and you just slide the finished flower off the top.

Hugs, Di xx

Loopylou. said...

awww that is just so cute and ooooh on the flower making gadgety thingy!! its so cool! and I love the effect it gives
huge hugs Lou xxx

coops said...

so gorgeous jules.the flower is stunning and i love the sweet image :D

xx coops xx

Beryl said...

A gorgeous card Jules and that thingamebob is brilliant. Never seen one of those before - and probably never will again. The twine flower is fab though so I hope to be seeing more of those.
Beryl xx

cotnob said...

This is a gorgeous card Jules, such an adorable PB image and lovely papers.
What a brilliant little gadget and what a fabulous flower.
Pauline
x

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous,great colours and fabulous design.xxx

Cynthia said...

I've never seen that metal do-dad either, but it's super cool! I thought you had purchased that flower and I was wondering where I could buy a few!! ;-) Maybe you should add that to your wedding makings!

mags said...

Gorgeous card Jules. Love the twine flower. Your little device looks really interesting and makes lovely flowers.
Mags
x

XxJULESxX said...

Gorgeous happy card Jules! love the gadget you used to create the flower!

Carole said...

Hi Jules missed this last night really like your flower what a great idea really pretty. I never would of found your hearts i thought it was the wings. x

Unknown said...

Awww this is really so cute Jules. just love this sweet mouse and the gorgeous colors and layout of your card. i'm so glad I hopped on by today .... Yes I'm trying to get back to blgland after my hols :) big hugs xxx

scrappymo! said...

Oh my goodness...that quirky flower is a gem! Love it to bits!

It is just perfect on this gorgeous Penny Black image card!

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

So adorable, love the cute image and the colours and your twine flower is gorgeous
Lindsay xx

Betty said...

Oh dear I've just found this card Jules I love it. I think the heart must be bees wings. Love the quirky thingy and flower
Bettyxxx

Grenouille Greetings said...

Wow! Everyone will want one of the flower makers. This one looks lovely on your pretty card. Bye for now... Hugs, Lesley